Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dave Stewart's tour ~ August 2008

I saw an ad on TV the other day for a tour about to begin with another 80's icon, but what struck me was that the songwriter was touring, and leaving the face of Annie Lennox at home. That's pretty damn brave I thought, with our model-fixated culture these days. But then something else struck me.....

Dave Stewart is starting a tour on August 28th with a 30 piece band, and they'll be performing songs that he's WRITTEN. I think that's amazing. Has this happened before? A songwriter taking a huge band on tour, with singers, to perform the songs that he's written! This makes the SONGWRITER the STAR of the show.

You know, songwriting is where it's at. Without awesome songs to sing, most singers would never make it to your TV screens. And American Idol? I couldn't give two shakes about American Idol - that show is just turning out more singers and there's plenty of singers. Where are the songwriters? How about a show to find the best songwriter? It makes me so steamed when I hear the crappy music released by the mainstream music industry these days because the songs are So Boring and Alike. In the past record companies wanted to develop an artist or songwriter and give them time to find their voice. Nowadays it's all about squeezing every last dime from an artist's talent. And the industry is suffering!!

Here's some songs that Dave Stewart has written, but it's the tip of the ice berg of what this artist has produced:

"Sweet Dreams are Made of This”
“Here Comes the Rain Again”
Tom Petty’s “Don’t Come Around Here No More
No Doubt’s “Underneath It All”
Mick Jagger’s “Old Habits Die Hard”
Celine Dion’s “Taking Chances.”

More about Dave Stewart here
Here's the article

2 comments:

(Fake) Louis Armstrong said...

Very True Ms. Rainey. Say now...are you feelin'alright these days? You seem a lot less fiery than I remember...I love to read what you have to say, Though.
SATCH

Ma Rainey said...

I'm feeling fine there Louis. How's your lip?