Sunday, July 20, 2008

the band "Frightened Rabbit"


...are REALLY cool! I've been hearing their name whispered around the internet for several months now. I remembered it because my friend, Bettie Black, had a band for a couple months called "Runaway Bunny". haw.
Of course they don't look too scared in this picture above now do they?

I heard Frightened Rabbit for the first time this weekend and I dig their sound a lot. They had a first record called "Sing the Greys" which is HILARIOUS to me, since I sing the BLUES myself. HAHAHA. Anyhow, I loved their song "Be Less Rude" that I found on their myspace page. What a novel title for a song, but it doesn't stop there. The song really MOVES and brings back memories of all the good things I love about rock & roll.....especially the Velvets....jangly guitars, interesting drums, great simple solos, and ENERGY. Period. That's all you need.

This band has Very simple songs and melody, but the musicians are top rate. I am particularly in love with their drummer and singer, but hell, the guitarist ain't bad neither! The bass seems mixed kinda low for my computer speakers, so I'll have to go back to sort him out.

Looks like they just toured the US a couple months ago, and are playing in Europe and the UK right now. Maybe if we talk quietly to them and try not to frighten them, these gentle happy rock beasties will grace our American shores again sometime soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the reason you can't hear the bass too well is because they recorded the first album without a bass player ! there's plenty on their latest one though. it's called ' the midnight organ fight' and it's even better than the first album. you should check it out.

Ma Rainey said...

aha! Well that makes a lot of sense. I can't hear the bass because...there is no bass!

Thanks for posting and letting us know. I LOVE that song "Fast Blood" from Midnight Organ Fight (go listen to it folks - on their myspace page). Can't wait to hear the whole record.

cheers!

Anonymous said...

bass schmass... this rocks, who gives a da_n?

Unknown said...

Frightened Rabbit, who have been tending to a particularly vicious Midnight Organ Fight for much of the year, will meet up with the Spintos (whose Moonwink arrives October 7) in mid-October for just shy of a month together. The Rabbits' time with Death Cab, meanwhile, will be spent a little closer to home off in November.
---------------
kimrennin
consumer generated media